Monday, August 23, 2010

Bouquets of Freshly Sharpened Pencils



Fall always makes me think of starting school. It just so happens that I'm a teacher and a student so I will be doubly starting school, but even in my past life as an office slave, I still looked at September as "Back to School Month." It's crazy to think that our lives were so defined by school for so long and I've taken a dive right back into that. Obviously I love all things education or I wouldn't be a teacher/student, but I think for some people the month of September might stir up some uneasy feelings.

I know that August was a tough one for me for quite some time because it meant summer was over and I was about to go back to college. Most of my friends found this beyond exciting because they had had enough of our boring small town (or so they told me), but my anxiety levels started rising to boiling points as soon as August 1st hit. Instead of my first words being "rabbit, rabbit" to start my month off right, I would be simultaneously stifling a sob and being a bitch to anyone in my vicinity. Now that college is over and my being a student feels incredibly different, I find August quite enjoyable and delight in the oncoming approach of September.

I also have a great love for any romantic comedy I can get my hands on. A big favorite of mine is "You've Got Mail." Any movie that pits Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks together as enemies and then brings them together in a sappy, yet believable way completely has my vote. I love Tom Hanks! Anyway, in one of their many anonymous online chats, Tom and Meg talk about school supplies and describe a bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils. Love! I discuss this quote from time to time and get weird stares when I say it out loud. Maybe it sounded better in the movie.

pleasedonteatthebooks.blogspot.com



No comments:

Post a Comment